Interview with Inverter Manufacturers :
1. How much Inverters have you supplied to India till now, what is the target/expectation in 2017-18
Since beginning commercial shipments in 2010, SolarEdge has shipped approximately 4.7GW of its DC optimized inverter systems and products have been installed in solar PV systems in 102 countries.As a public company, SolarEdge cannot make forward looking statements.
2. The recent aggressive bidding by various developers keeping Solar Tariffs in the price range of Rs.3.3 – 4.34 per kWh in various Solar Tenders…Whats your view on the viability, Costs & timeline pressures, Resource Challenges (Materials, ManPower, Execution, Grid Connection, Land Possession) etc…
Based on our experience, PV needs to be viable for all parties, manufacturers, distributors, installers, system owners, and investors. If prices decline too much, then the subsequent result will be decreased quality and long term profit losses. On the other hand, if prices are too high, the adoption of PV will decelerate. SolarEdge is committed to providing value to our customers and at a price point that allows for long-term profitability of all industry players. This is one key to SolarEdge’s growing market share andrevenue.
3. Kindly enlighten our readers on the performance of your Inverters in India in various geographic locations, customer feedback,.
The first SolarEdge system was installed in India approximately three and a half years ago and the system has performed well, surpassing the customer’s expectations.. SolarEdge systems have been installed on the buildings of prestigious businesses in India and we have received repeat orders from local customers. With a complete portfolio of 3-phase commercial DC optimized inverters, SolarEdge is well poised to become a major player in commercial roof-top &utility-scale PV installations.
4. Present some noteworthy projects, case studies of solar plants built using your solar Inverters.
5. Please describe in brief about your company, directors, promoters, investors, its vision & mission
As a top global PV inverter company, SolarEdge (NASDAQ: SEDG) provides an intelligent inverter solution that has changed the way power is harvested and managed in solar photovoltaic systems. The SolarEdge DC optimized inverter system maximizes power generation at the individual PV module-level while lowering the cost of energy produced by the solar PV system. The SolarEdge system consists of power optimizers, inverters, storage solutions, and a cloud-based monitoring platform and addresses a broad range of solar market segments, from residential solar installations to commercial and small utility-scale solar installations.
SolarEdge’s mission is to become the leading provider of inverter solutions across all solar PV market segments and broaden the availability of clean, renewable solar energy.
SolarEdge’s founders and executive team bring extensive multidisciplinary experience in business, power electronics and photovoltaic systems.
The company’s core founding group and technology management team have worked together for more than 15 years. The combination of the team’s entrepreneurial spirit, business track-record, and collaboration fosters the type of innovation that has made SolarEdge a leading player in the PV electronics markets.
6. What is the size of your company in terms of manufacturing capacities, growth chart, future expansion plans, revenues, shipments, ASP’s, financial figures,
SolarEdge provides its financial information in accordance with NASDAQ filing procedures. Our latest financial report can be found at: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NjYwMTYxfENoaWxkSUQ9MzY2NTk0fFR5cGU9MQ==&t=1
• Established in 2006• Publicly traded on NASDAQ (SEDG)• Invented the DC optimized inverter solution• 4.2GW of our systems shipped, over 374,000 monitored systems around the world• 15.4M power optimizers and 633,000 inverters shipped• 84 awarded patents and 123 additional patent applications• >715 employees and presence in 13 countries• $490M annual revenue in calendar year 2016, 15% Y-o-Y Growth, $63.5M Profit
7. What are your plans for India, your view on the GOI target of 100GW Solar Power by 2022
In order to support the current growth of the Indian PV market, SolarEdge has recently taken steps to strengthen its business position in the country with a new office and leadership. Looking to expand its footprint in the Indian PV market, SolarEdge appointed a new country manager, added an office, and is currently recruiting a local team. SolarEdge is positioned to play an important and leading role in the Indian solar industry.
8. What are your plans for Manufacturing set up in India, the opportunities and challenges in manufacturing in India
We have just started our operations in India andwillclosely evaluate the market for opportunities. We have a very positive outlook on the Indian solar industry.
9. Briefly describe the various technologies and its suitable applications such as Central Inverter, String, Micro Inverter, 1500V, Outdoor, Container solutions etc..The SolarEdge commercial DC optimized inverter solution consists of inverters, power optimizers, and a cloud-based monitoring platform. The technology provides superior power harvesting and module management by connecting power optimizers at the module level. The ability to connect two modules to one optimizer, combined with DC to AC conversion and grid interaction being centralized at a simplified PV inverter maintains a competitive cost structure. SolarEdge DC optimized inverters are robust for tough environments and can be installed outdoors. Using a fixed-string inverter, SolarEdge DC optimized inverters already offer longer strings, up to 15.3kWp per string, which leads to a significant reduction in BoS costs compared to both traditional string inverters and 1500V systems. While the module-level, remote monitoring platform improves O&M and PV asset management by allowing real-time insight into system performance and the ability to perform remote maintenance.
Based on SolarEdge’s track record of optimizing commercial-scale PV systems, SolarEdge recently launched larger-capacity, three-phase inverters up to 100kW. These new commercial inverters offer the benefits of both central and string inverters, but without any of the setback, such as needing a forklift, requiring a specialized team for maintenance, increased system downtime. With simple and cost-efficient installations, pre-wiring, and easy maintenance, the larger-capacity inverters save on AC BoS costs and can minimize downtime to the impacted string. In addition, the new inverters provide smart energy management control.
10. How much is your R&D budget as % of your sales / profits
R&D is 9.3% of SolarEdge’s OPEX. SolarEdge provides its financial information in accordance with NASDAQ filing procedures. Our latest financial report can be found at: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NjYwMTYxfENoaWxkSUQ9MzY2NTk0fFR5cGU9MQ==&t=1
11. What are the top 5 markets for your company in the past, present and future
The North American market is our largest market, with approximately 60% of our revenue coming from our North America sales. Following the North American Market, are the European and Australian markets.
12. Technology road map in terms of 1500V , micro inverters, upcoming game changes technologies
SolarEdge already offers longer strings, up to 15.3kWp per string, which leads to a significant reduction in BoS costs compared to both central and string inverters and 1500v systems.SolarEdge’s DC optimized inverter solution offers longer strings with fixed-string voltage. Fixed-voltage mode is an advanced operating mode for string inverters. It requires power optimizers to match current level drawn from the inverter, while the inverter maintains string voltage at optimal voltage for DC/AC conversion – regardless of string length or temperature. This means that string length is no longer governed by voltage, but by power. And in fact, it allows for 100% longer strings than standard string inverters, while also keeping the voltage below 1000v– which means specialized 1500 hardware is not required.
SolarEdge developed and continues to be the leader in the DC-DC optimization market.
SolarEdge recently developed and began sales of its HD-Wave inverter. The As the winner of the prestigious 2016 Intersolar award, the HD-Wave inverter breaks the mold of traditional inverters. Using a novel power conversion technology that is based on a distributed switching and powerful DSP processing, the HD-Wave inverter synthesizes a clean sine wave that leads to a dramatic reduction in the magnetics and heavy cooling elements. The record-breaking efficiency allows more energy production for an improved ROI.As part of our smart energy management portfolio, SolarEdge offers StorEdge™ solutions to support increased self-consumption and energy independence. SolarEdge’s StorEdge™ is a DC coupled storage solution that increases self-consumption & power backup.
One of the market leaders in the integration of PV generation, energy storage and home automation, SolarEdge offers smart energy management solutions. The device control suite, which includes an immersion heater controller and load switching devices, directs excess PV energy to power appliances during the day in order to shift energy consumption to match PV generation.
13. Kindly comment of Energy Storage as a game changer, its technology, cost trends…etc…
As PV production does not typically align with energy consumption, storage is key to increasing energy independence, improving PV system RoI, and reaching grid parity. Energy storage will also help to upgrade the grid from being a centralized energy source to a distributed and dynamic network. SolarEdge offers StorEdge™, which is a DC-coupled storage solution, with a single inverter that manages both PV and storage.
14. Explain various guarantees, warrantees, insurance, certifications, test results, performance report of your inverters
SolarEdge inverters have a wide temperature range, are humidity resistant, meet IP65 rating, are saline and ammonia resistant. Power optimizers also meet these same standards, but also meet the IP68 standard. SolarEdge inverters have a 12-year warranty, extendable to 20 years. While power optimizers have a 25-year warranty and free monitoring for the system lifetime.
We comply with the Indian regional requirements in regards to the certification covering inverter efficiency, environmental requirements, ingress protection, grid codes &anti-islanding requirements.
In addition, SolarEdge offers enhanced safety with its embedded SafeDC™ technology. With SolarEdge whenever AC power is off, DC wires are de-energized. Power optimizers shut down the DC voltage in the PV wires to protect installers, maintenance personnel, and firefighters. The SolarEdge inverter solution meets the most advanced safety standards and are certified to NEC 2017, to IEC 60947 as a disconnection means between a PV inverter and a PV generator, and to VDE 2100-712 for safety in cases of firefighting or maintenance.
15. Kindly highlight your product, technology & company USP’s, distinctive advantages etc…
SolarEdge DC optimized inverters offer 4 key benefits:• More energy – With module-level MPPT, SolarEdge DC optimized inverters allow each panel to produce at its maximum. This increased energy yield means a faster return on the system investment.• Constraint free design – Power optimizers enable installation of strings of uneven lengths, modules in multiple orientations and different roof facets in a single string, and modules in shaded areas. These means more modules can be installed on the roof with minimum design time. • Improved O&M – Full visibility of system performance & remote troubleshooting with module-level SolarEdge’s monitoring platform means less trips to site, less time spent on site, and higher system uptime.• Enhanced safety solution – SafeDC™ reducesDC voltage in PV wires to a safe level whenever inverter or grid are shut down for safety during installation, maintenance, firefighting, & other emergencies
16. Do you also bring financing solutions for your customers ?
No, but SolarEdge is bankable with many international and local banks and financial institutions.
17. Please share information of some new orders in hand.
18. What are the trends in new manufacturing technology equipment, materials, processes, innovations etc…
SolarEdge developed and leverages an automatic assembly line to manufacture its power optimizers. The automated assembly line was designed to reduce quality problems related to human error, reduce labor required for production, increase production speed and ramp up, and decrease production costs. The line is designed to assemble 500,000 power optimizers per quarter. In addition to the advancement of its manufacturing rate is the line’s ability to transition from one type of power optimizer to another seamlessly.
19. Whats your commitment towards the solar sector in India
The Indian solar energy segment is considered to be a market with one of the fastest growth potentials in the world due the country’s ever-increasing demand for energy. Having global experience, innovative solutions, and dedication to developing a local presence, SolarEdge is well poised to support the Indian PV market in its rapid growth. SolarEdge’s recent move to strengthen its position in the Indian PV market with a local team signifies our commitment to the solar sector in India.
20. What will be the cost, technology trends in solar inverters
As a public company, SolarEdge does not provide forward looking information.
21. Feel free to add/modify/delete any question.
22. How has RUMS Bid and SECI Wind Tender Bid has changed the dynamics for Solar & Wind Projects in India. What are the challenges, threats and new opportunities you see emerging now
23. What is the impact of RUMS & SECI Wind Bid on past projects and upcoming tenders
24. What has delayed the new upcoming tenders by NTPC/SECI and what are the learning’s and take aways from RUMS & SECI Wind Bids
25. What are the expectations from Government / NTPC / SECI / RUMS Team
26. What are the expectations from Tech Suppliers like Modules, Inverters, BOS, Trackers etc….Whats the tech solution you thinking of deploying
27. Are the developers betting on Modules/EPC Prices or Interest Rates ?
It seems as if developers are expecting a drop in the price of solar modules. Based on the previous round of aggressive bidding, the projects which seemed unviable became viable only due to the drop-in module prices. The interest rate is the second influencer in terms of bidding.