1. Home
  2. Energy
  3. Storage
  4. Using smart home energy storage to ditch the fossil fuel grid
Using smart home energy storage to ditch the fossil fuel grid

Using smart home energy storage to ditch the fossil fuel grid


These days, anyone who’s considering solar panels has the option to upgrade their home to a fully independent clean energy ecosystem.

Do you ever think about the little decisions you make all day long?

Most of us live our daily lives without putting much thought into the impact of small decisions we’re constantly making. When you’re flicking a light switch, cooking a meal, taking a shower, driving to work, and checking your email, you’re probably not thinking about those decisions. These actions usually get lost in the background of the larger ideas, problems, relationships and plans that make up your days and occupy your thoughts.

But here’s the truth: All day long, you’re making a constant stream of decisions about energy. How much, what kind, and when. You’re in control of that, even if it doesn’t seem like it on a minute-by-minute basis.

All those little energy decisions have one important thing in common: They each rely on the expenditure of a non-renewable resource.

We’ve known our whole lives that it’s important to conserve, to reduce, re-use, recycle… and most of us are aware that our planet is responding to the lasting damage we’re doing by continuing to burn fossil fuels. But, while we probably think critically these days about the impact of things like gas mileage, non-recyclable packaging and long showers, how often do you look at your monthly electricity bill and ask yourself, “What could I be doing differently to save electricity?”

Here’s a new question: “Do I need grid-provided electricity at all?”

If you’ve ever pondered this question, you’ve started the process of powering your life with 100% clean energy. The carbon-neutral lifestyle is no longer the whim of a small segment of the population who make radical changes to their home’s infrastructure and their daily habits. These days, anyone who’s considering solar panels has the option to turn their home into a fully independent clean energy ecosystem.

Most homes with solar panels send excess power to the grid all day long while the sun shines, when there is little demand for that energy within the home. At night, when demand for electricity within the home jumps up, the home buys power back from the grid. In many cases, the solar panels are only providing about 25% of the energy that is directly consumed within the home; the other 75% is sold to the grid and bought back. When full “net energy metering” (utility buying your solar power at its full retail value) is available, you’ll experience the amazing feeling of not paying for any electricity on your monthly bill. The catch is, the inefficient fossil fuel grid is still working with you, serving as a massive battery to absorb your excess supply and provide your peaking demand.

So… what if the battery was in your home instead?

The answer to this question is why Pika Energy and Panasonic developed the Harbor Smart Battery. This device connects to your solar panels to allow you to store your excess solar power on-site during the day, so you can use it at night. With this configuration, you’ll be able to consume as much as 100% of your solar panels’ power directly, cutting the grid out of the equation, without requiring you to cut the cord.

The path to the fully clean-powered home is via a “smart home energy storage” system such as the Harbor Smart Battery. With a home energy storage system, you can also power your home during grid blackouts with seamless backup, replacing the need for a gas-guzzling backup generator. Your electric vehicle can be charged using battery power at night, again helping to maximize the amount of clean power you’re using locally without relying on the grid.

Source: pika-energy
Anand Gupta Editor - EQ Int'l Media Network


Your email address will not be published.