Neo Solar Power (NSP), Taiwan’s tier-one PV company, inaugurated a 200MW high efficiency PV module factory in Hsinchu, Taiwan on June 26th. NSP demonstrated a solar demo site using its Glory BiFi PV modules to the inauguration’s guests led by Taiwan’s president, Tsai Ing-wen. Tsai Ing-wen and her administration targets to improve Taiwan’s solar installation to 20GW by 2025 as a part of the nation’s renewable energy policy. NSP, one of the leaders in Taiwan PV industry, therefore built Taiwan’s first “domestic market oriented” PV module production line to fit the island’s humid, windy weather as well as for projects built on salty lands or in waters. “NSP has been facing challenges from the world,” stated Dr. Sam Hong, president of NSP. “External issues such as rapidly transforming PV market, international trade disputes, multi-si products’ oversupply, and significant price decrease of PV cells have severely influenced NSP, while NSP didn’t slow down our pace to developing.”
NSP will continue cooperating with partners from both upstream and downstream and will coordinate with Taiwanese government to develop renewable energy, extend PV installation, and provide the most suitable to the Taiwan market, stated Hong. The new PV module factory will focus on manufacturing 4BB or 5BB mono-si PERC modules with output of 305~310W. Such a high efficiency product will help NSP earn price premium of about 30% in Taiwan due to the government’s 6% FiT bonus for certificated high-efficiency modules. NSP expects to gain profit one year after this inauguration. Dr. Hong explained that the new factory will start mass production as early as in July. 25% of the shipment will be adopted by NSP’s self-developed projects, while the rest 75% will supply to Taiwan’s local projects. Furthermore, NSP advocated the government to upgrade its high-efficiency threshold from 290W, which is actually basic to advancing PV module manufacturers.