NEW DELHI: There was a minor scare at New Delhi railway station recently after a fire broke out on the roof of platforms 9 and 10 of the station, damaging solar panels along with portions of the roof. The incident took place around 1am on July 10, but no casualties were reported.
Sources said the incident had taken place due to a short circuit, which occurred from an IRCTC vending machine installed at the station.
“An enquiry was conducted and it was discovered that the source of the fire was a vending machine. The short circuit caused the roof, and the solar panels on top of it, to catch fire, while a couple of benches were also damaged in the process,” said an official.
Railways said the fire was brought under control within minutes, and both RPF and railway staff had been called into action. “The fire was doused by us before the fire tenders reached the spot, using fire extinguishers and other equipment. We were helped with the fact that there was not much of a crowd at the station,” said an RPF official, involved in the operation.
Railways said the solar panels will soon be replaced, while another audit will be conducted to ensure no such incidents occur again.
Delhi’s Subzi Mandi railway station had also seen a minor fire on July 12, after the 12425 Jammu Rajdhani express reached the station. Railway officials said that a miscreant had thrown a rag towards the train that caught fire when the locomotive passed across it, causing ‘sparking’ from the overhead equipment (OHE).
“The situation was brought under control and the train departed after all the necessary clearances and checks were made,” a railway official said.