Electrification of balance broad gauge routes of 13675 kilometer planned at Rs 12134 crore
Ministry of Railways has planned for 100% electrification of Broad Gauge (BG) routes and accordingly work for electrification of balance BG routes of 13,675 Route Kilometer. This has been approved at a cost of Rs 12134 crore.
With above, Indian Railways will be the first major railway in the world to have 100% electrified BG railway network of such size, confirming its commitments towards green and clean environment.
100% electrification will entail following advantages:
* Reduced energy bill of Railways by about Rs 13000 crore per annum.
* Reduction in diesel oil consumption by about 2.8 billion litres, thereby reducing dependence on imported diesel oil and saving foreign exchange.
* Amenable to adoption of renewable sources of energy like solar, wind power.
* Haulage of heavier freight and longer passenger trains at higher speed due to higher haulage capacity of electric loco.
* Increased capacity of railway network due to reduced detention and seamless transport on electric traction.
* Reduce carbon emission and improve environment particularly in cities like New Delhi.