Prime minister Narendra Modi, will today address the ongoing 14th Conference of Parties to United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification being held in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
This Conference is being held at a time when India has assumed the COP Presidency for two years. India has had the honour to host the COP of all three Rio conventions on climate change, biodiversity and land.
Prime Minister’s address is important keeping in mind the lead, India is taking on world platforms on environment conservation and protection of biodiversity.
United nations convention to combat desertification’s 14th conference of parties, is underway at Greater Noida Near New Delhi.
The conference is brainstorming over the issue of desertification across the globe.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will preside over the opening ceremony of the high-level segment on Monday.
The high level segment will have discussions on
-Land climate and renewable energy
-Rural and urban communities
– and fostering a global movement for ecosystem restoration
The conference which began on 2rd September had major sessions on issues like.
-Soil organic carbon, which is a key motivation for land restoration.
– Achieving Land Degradation Neutrality and preparing a favourable environment for it deforestation
– understanding economics of land degradation
– drought and the measures that can be taken up to anticipate water needs better
-migration due to land degradation
-sand and dust storms and
– urbanization in developed countries.