The government on Wednesday proposed to extend its Rs 1,600-crore flagship power subsidy scheme for another financial year. At present, those consuming up to 400 units get 50% subsidy on their bills.
Apart from this, the Rs 2194-crore allocation for the energy sector focuses on achieving Delhi’s solar power generation targets, providing incentives to domestic solar power generators and developing three waste-to-energy plants. Most of these proposals had been announced earlier.
“Due to limitation of space in Delhi, a massive programme for developing rooftop solar power units has been launched. We are aiming for 1,000MW solar photovoltaic installation in the next five years and hope to meet a target of 2,000MW by 2025,” said the deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia. “It has been made mandatory for all government buildings having a rooftop area of more than 500sq m to install a solar power unit.” The government will also provide an incentive of Rs2/KW to domestic consumers for installation of a solar plant.
In his budget speech, Sisodia spoke about approving three waste-to-energy power plants at Okhla, Ghazipur and Bawana. “The Delhi government has approved three waste-to-energy plants with a total capacity of 52MW to overcome the problem of disposal of municipal waste. The 16MW plant at Okhla is already operational, which is India’s largest integrated waste management project with a capacity to process 2,000 tonnes garbage a day,” he said.
The power subsidy scheme has been AAP’s focus area. It is expected to cover over 36 lakh households in Delhi. According to the Economic Survey, Delhi has 52.62 lakh consumers and power consumption recorded a growth of 3.4% , thereby raising the supply to 33,615 million units in 2015-16.